Office of Animal Welfare

New Investigators

If you are a New Investigator at the UW and wondering what you need to do to start a new Protocol at the UW this is the best place to start.

See below for a quick step-by-step guide for starting a new animal use Protocol.

Step 1
: Determine if you need an IACUC Protocol
If you are uncertain, contact OAWRSS or call the office at (206) 685-7363. If yes, proceed to Step 2.

Step 2: Getting StartedĀ 
Once you have established that you need a protocol, call or email OAWRSS (email and phone above) and provide the following information:

  • PI Name
  • PI Department
  • PI UW NetID
  • Species
  • General Description of the Project you are proposing
  • If there are/will be associated Grants

If you aren’t sure who can be a PI, see the definition below!

Once we receive this information, we will set you up with a Scientific Reviewer and Scientific Liaison that can assist you with getting started and throughout the duration of the protocol review process.

Step 3: Complete your Training
Before any animal work can be conducted on a project, all individuals involved must complete at least the following basic training’s:

  • Animal Use Medical Screening (Occupational Health Recommendations)
  • Animal Use Laws and Regulations

Species Specific Handling may also be required before animal work is conducted depending on the species you are working with.

Step 4: Create and submit your ProtocolĀ in HoverBoard.
When you are ready to start, create and submit your protocol in HoverBoard. OAWRSS staff will be available to assist you in getting started and will be in contact with you throughout the approval process.

Who can be a Principal Investigator?

The Principal Investigator (PI) is an individual who is designated and given the authority by a University department, school, or administrative unit to direct the research program or project. The PI has the scientific and technical direction for the research. The PI has the responsibility and authority to enforce regulations and policies related to research, animal welfare, and worker safety. This includes ensuring that the facilities are appropriate for the research conducted and for ensuring that personnel who will be involved with the project are trained.